Agra – Beyond the Monument of Love
A trip to Agra is synonymous with visiting Taj Mahal, one of the seven wonders of the world. But do you know that there are many other important and beautiful places in Agra beyond this love monument? There are in fact a gazillion other things to do.
This ancient city is home to some of the world’s famed architectures, three World Heritage Monuments, vibrant markets, and delectable cuisine.
Don’t miss these activities in Agra:
- Fine Dining with the Taj Mahal as the background: Enjoy a sumptuous dinner at the luxurious Hotel Amar Vilas on a starry night with Taj Mahal as the backdrop. Among the hotels in Agra, 5 star hotels are aplenty, but this one is known to be top drawer and is one of the most opulent hotels in Agra. Apart from a variety of cuisines offered here, the view of the Taj Mahal from this hotel in Agra is unparalleled. And you can experience the beauty of eternal love, by staying at one of hotels in Agra near Taj Mahal.
- Shop wantonly: From the wholesale Kinari Bazaar to the local shops, Agra is a shopaholic’s paradise. Choose from leather goods, marble artifacts, handmade sarees, to jewelry and more.
- Bird watching at Bharatpur Bird Sanctuary: Also known as the Keoladeo National Park or Keoladeo Ghana National Park, this is a very popular tourist destination close to Agra. Hire a cab or take a bus to this a UNESCO World Heritage Site and spend a peaceful day at this man-made national park. In the months of October and November, various migratory birds are seen here. It is a delight for any nature lover. Also, a great opportunity for photographers to capture spectacular shots.
- Local Food: From lip-smacking Mughlai cuisine to the famous Agra Petha, tourists have many options when it comes to food in Agra. Indulge yourself!
Here are a few places that you can’t miss exploring when in Agra.
- The Agra Fort: One of the three heritage monuments in Agra, the majestic Agra Fort should definitely feature in your itinerary. This grand fort sprawls over 94 acres and is situated on the right bank of River Yamuna. The fort has four gates on the four sides: the Khizri Gate, the Delhi Gate, the Ghazni Gate, and the Lahore Gate, also known as Amar Singh Gate. Inside the fort, you can take a stroll through the grand palaces like the Jahangir Palace, Sheesh Mahal, and Khas Palace, as well as magnificent mosques like the Nagina mosque and Moti mosque. Don’t be surprised if the fusion of Hindu-Muslim architecture keeps you spellbound. There are several Top hotels in Agra are also situated close to The Agra Fort. You can choose, compare and book hotels according to your budget.
- Fathehpur Sikri: Built by Emperor Akbar in 1569, it was the former capital city of the Mughals from 1571 to 1585. Made of red sandstone, this historical site is another must-visit. The important places within the complex include the the Diwan-i-Aam, Buland Darwaza, the Jama Masjid, the tomb of Salim Chisti, Birbal’s House, Anup Talao, and Mariam-uz-Zaman’s palace.
- Sikandra Fort: This fort houses the tomb of Emperor Akbar and is one of the top tourist spots in Agra. Visit this architectural beauty to meander through the lush gardens, pay tribute at Akbar’s mausoleum, and admire the rare blend of Hindu-Muslim art.
So make sure, you explore these varied facets of Agra, when you next visit the monument of love.