Popularly known by many other names such as emergency brakes, or for that matter, the traditional handbrake, parking brakes are used to pull out emergency stops. They are also used to keep the car stationary. The lock or the ratchet keeps the vehicle unmoving till the user manually unhitches it.
The working principle behind the operation of handbrakes lies in the basic working of levers. In due course, however, manual brakes have evolved into electric brakes, while the underlying mechanism remains the same.
Since these brakes are primarily used for emergency stoppages, hence it is essential for users to know a few things about them. This is because such fine points actually serve as checkpoints for drivers to follow for maintaining and operating their handbrakes properly to avoid the occurrence of mishaps.
Here are a few essential points that users would do well to know about parking brakes:
- Knowing their usage, in other words, knowing the basics of their operation
The parking brake is mainly of two kinds:
- A pedal, or,
- The quintessential handbrake
Here’s how one can use them:
- In case of a pedal, the driver simply needs to give a slight downward push to the brake, till he feels the lever lock under the applied pressure. Once the brake is safely locked, it implies that it is in place, and the car, or the vehicle in question, shall stand still until the driver chooses to unlock it.
- Now, using the handbrake requires the driver to jerk the lever upward. For letting the brake disengage, he/she would only need to push a button and pull the lever back to its original position.
- Cautionary measures
There are definitely a few essential precautions one must take while using these brakes. The foremost of them is: Never drive while the brake locked!
And why is that?
Here are a few reasons that aptly explain why:
- Driving while the brake is engaged results in a general rise in engine temperature, leading to various mechanical problems within the car, or the vehicle in question.
- The rise in temperature mentioned above leads to breakage in the lining of the main brakes, due to the possible rupture of the pads.
Hence, whenever one catches an odour of burning rubber in one’s vehicle, he/she would do well to seek professional aid to solve the problem right away.
- Proper maintenance of brakes
Individuals must always bear in mind the fact that these parking brakes are inbuilt safety measures installed in their vehicles. Hence, it is imperative that these brakes must be aptly taken care of. And for that checkup coupled with preventive maintenance are required on a regular basis.
These measures help these brakes stay in order for a long time. Plus, users must also have their brakes inspected from time to time in case they do not use their vehicles on a regular basis.
Regular brake adjustments also help them retain their service capability and safety quotient.
For more information on brakes, and to gain access to a full-fledged manual on brake maintenance and the characteristics thereof, one could refer to Bestpartstore.co.uk