Your Guide to the Four Types of New Zealand Visas


For a long time, countless people have made the decision to move to Australia from the UK, however in the last few years, there has been a rise in the number of people looking slightly further afield in their search for a new life. Many of them have turned their sights on New Zealand, attracted by the more relaxed pace of life and the many fantastic opportunities that the country represents. Uncrowded and friendly, New Zealand is a land of opportunity, and their government promises that ex-pats from the UK are sure to receive a warm welcome.

If you have made the decision to relocate to New Zealand from the UK, you will need to know more about the different types of visas that you can apply for to gain entry to the country. There are four main types of visa for anyone who is looking to permanently move to New Zealand, and each one is suited to a different type of applicant. In this guide to New Zealand visas for UK citizens, you can compare your different options and determine which is the right one for you.

The Skilled Visa

Those who are eligible to apply for a visa within the Skilled Migrant category are those who have the relevant experience to enable them to obtain enough marks on the migration points test. This permanent visa will enable you to come to New Zealand to work and live indefinitely, and in order to apply you must first register your Expression of Interest with the government before you complete your application. You will only be considered if you can score 100 points or more on the nation’s points test, and there are stringent criteria that you must meet. You must be no younger than 18 and no older than 55 to apply for this type of visa and you may be required to already have a job offer in place before applying. If you hold qualifications that are relevant to your nominated trade or occupation that would be a huge advantage when applying for this kind of visa.

The Parent Visa

If you already have close family members who live in Australia, this is the visa stream for you. Anybody who has a child, parent or partner who is either a New Zealand citizen or who has been granted permanent residency can join their family members to work, live and study in the country, either permanently or on a temporary basis. In order to apply for this visa type, you must have a qualifying family member and be aged over 18 years. You must also be able to demonstrate your financial independence to prove that you would not be reliant upon the country’s healthcare system or social security.

The Partner Visa

If you are married to a New Zealand citizen or anyone who has been granted permanent residency, you can apply for the Partner Visa. This visa is also open to those who are civil partnerships or who are in a stable de facto relationship. To apply under this category you must be aged over 18 years and be able to prove that you have been in a committed relationship for a minimum of 12 months before the date of your application. You must also be able to demonstrate that you are living together and that you have joint commitments such as a joint bank account.

The Work Visa

New Zealand offers plenty of opportunities for UK job seekers, and therefore the Work Visa is a great choice for anyone who wants to relocate. There are several different options within this category, however already having a job offer in place is extremely advantageous when applying under any Working Visa category. If you possess skills and qualifications that are currently in demand you will also have a better chance of having a successful application. The Work To Residence Visa allows you to come to the country for up to 30 months and enables anyone with an existing job offer to relocate with a view to becoming a permanent resident. If you are interested in a temporary stay in the country, an Essential Skills Work Visa will allow you to take up a post that you have been offered by a New Zealand employer while the Student Visa entitles you to take a course of study at a New Zealand educational provider.

There are several other types of visa available to those who are keen to move to New Zealand, and The Emigration Group can advise you on the right one to suit your circumstances. With our help, you can enjoy an exciting new life on the other side of the world!

Leave A Reply